Tuesday, April 20, 2010

PED Suspension On the Way?

Last night Will Carroll dropped a little bit of gossip on his Twitter feed, stating simply: "PED suspension incoming".  He followed it up by saying that he didn't know the name or the team, but that he expected a baseball reporter to scoop it shortly.  He then tweeted that the positive test came during spring training, that it wasn't a repeat offender, and that it was not a positive test for amphetamines.

And so we wait.  As TheYankeeU and I tweeted back and forth, we just hope it's not ARod.  It would be typical, though.

Tick tock...

UPDATE, 10:36 AM EST
Craig Calcaterra confirms Carroll's report, and says that it could come "as early as this week".  Calcaterra says:


Baseball Prospectus' Will Carroll tweeted this first yesterday afternoon, and I have since confirmed it with a baseball source: a major league player is going to be suspended for a PED violation, possible as early as this week.
I could not confirm the player's identity, but my source tells me that it's a "semi-big" name, though not a "huge" name.  I imagine that, once the name is revealed, we'll have more fun arguing about what being a "semi-big" player truly means than we will wondering why he was not a bigger name despite taking PEDs.
 I'm hoping we don't have to wait all week. My money is on it getting leaked today. Can MLB really keep a secret that long?

UPDATE, 1:07 PM EST
Craig Calcaterra is reporting that it's an NL pitcher.  The slow drip continues.

12 comments:

  1. If it's not a repeat offender, wouldn't that rule out A-Rod?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arods never been suspended though.

    Sounds like its Arod, Reyes, Beltran.. or... Teixiera.

    All rumors at this point though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah ARod's never been suspended. Did he test positive?

    BTW, it doesn't "sound like" its those 4 players any more than it "sounds like" its anyone else. All we know is that it's "semi-big".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wasn't his name leaked last year with the whole 'it was my cousin' bs? Yeah he was never suspended, but surely he wouldn't be dumb enough to try it again.

    'Semi-big' name...hmm...I doubt it's Teixiera, he seems like too much of a toolbag to take steroids, Reyes would make sense, I guess a lot of players would make sense, there are quite a few names in the "semi-big" category.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tex is too straight-laced to take them, IMO. Honestly, ARod/Reyes/Beltran/Tex are all "big". Not "semi-big". That's how it seems to me anyway. I'm thinking someone like Torii Hunter. Not saying that it's him, just someone of his caliber.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope it's someone from the White Sox, like Carlos Quentin or something, I hate the White Sox.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just heard that it's a pitcher. Dunno if accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And now the verdict is that it's an NL Pitcher

    ReplyDelete
  9. Volquez.

    Kind of boring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah. I'm sad. I wanted Carpenter. Or Mauer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How dare you...

    The blood of Joe Mauer is probably on the league's banned substances list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I put Mauer's blood through a spinner for PRP and injected it into my hurt ankle and my ankle grew a separate, spare ankle. I was able to detach the ankle and save it for later. Thanks Joe!

    ReplyDelete